Monday, July 6, 2009

Pondering Learning

In my last post, I alluded to the fact that I am finding the use of various tools associated with Web 2.0 a bit frustrating, frightening yet fascinating. I consider myself to be more adept at computer usage than several others with whom I associate yet I'm far less capable than a whole world of teachers and students who are already adept at using these tools for learning and business. It is my goal to catch up and become more secure in my use and knowledge of them because I can see that my students will desperately need to be knowledgeable with Web 2.0 tools. I can also see how many of the tools can provide students with for greater choice and more engaging means of completing assignments.

It has been my pleasure to dabble with the D2L shells set up through the Calgary Board. I am currently building one for my library which will provide students and staff with information pertinent to functioning in the library. I quite look forward to unveiling this site and training others how it will benefit them. I am registered to take a course in Dreamweaver which should assist me in building the
D2L shells and having them look consistent and professional. It is also my hope that my work with both of these tools will build my knowledge and assist me with teaching and learning.

The blog that I chose to use is a rather simplistic one offered for free through blogger.com. as sugggested in Blogs, Wikis, Posdcasts, and Other Powerful WEb Tools for Calssrooms. I felt that since I am such a neophite, I should begin with something a bit more basic that I can add to if I get to the point of feeling more comfortable. Already I am learning that some of the features are limiting and maybe this is because I am still so new at the blogging picture. I am hoping to become more comfortable with blogging as we continue. Since searching other blogs on tinyurl, I do feel that should I set up an educational blog site for my library, I will likely use this site. The work seems more professional but since it's summer, I still agree with my current choice--whimsical yet to the point, I feel.

I am quite excited about working with web pages and shells for learning as well as other tools. I also very much appreciate the hands on approach taken for the current university course that I am taking since I have been assigned buidling my first blog site. I know intensely how my students feel when I assign something to them and then assume that they will pick up on the tricks as they go along. This is very true and valuable; however, frustrating for someone who is also a visual learner and concrete sequential to boot. I must remember these things when introducing technology to my students. I think that blogs offer students a voice that they may not otherwise assume in class. They are able to reflect information gathered and conjecture without feeling threatened by the knowledge of others or their styles of communicating. By setting criteria for numbers of postings on a topic, numbers of replies to the postings of others and teaching web log set up and techniques of editing, the class could host very worthwile discussions and presentations of information acquired and learned. As mentioned by Will Richardson,
"blogs can promote critical and analytical thinking" (2009) for all students.

In the meantime, I feel like a true gardener, "So many seeds -- so little time." The pressure is on!

No comments:

Post a Comment